1. International: struggle for hegemony and Empire outstrips the fiscal resources of the state
2. Political conflict: conflict between the Monarchy and the nobility over the "reform" of the tax system led to paralysis and bankruptcy.
3. The Enlightenment: impulse for reform intensifies political conflicts; reinforces traditional aristocratic constitutionalism, one variant of which was laid out in Montesquieu's Spirit of the Laws; introduces new notions of good government, the most radical being popular sovereignty, as in Rousseau's Social Contract ; the attack on the regime and privileged class by the Literary Underground of "Grub Street;" the broadening influence of public opinion.
4. Social antagonisms between two rising groups: the aristocracy and the bourgeoisie
5. Ineffective ruler: Louis XVI
6. Economic hardship, especially the agrarian crisis of 1788-89 generates popular discontent and disorders caused by food shortages.
== == The USA does NOT prohibit LEGAL immigration. If a person follows the Immigration Act rules, and makes a proper application, with the proper paperwork and has the minimum required education and job skills, they wil be CONSIDERED as a potential immigrant to the USA. ILLEGAL immigrants, who attempt to "skip the line up" and get into the USA by illegal means, are the ones that are PROHIBITED from entry, and if they are found to be in the USA ILLEGALY, they will be arrested and sent out of the country, and barred from any further attempts to enter the USA. Every country has the right to protect it's own workers and society against those who would disrespect the laws and rules of that country.
There was no foreign policy, and states printed their own currency. The federal government could not tax; there was no Federal Army, no judicial system, and a lack of national compulsive power over states.
It was a weak alliance, it needed approval from 9 of all 13 states to be amended, no executive or judicial branch, only a one house congress where every state had 1 vote. It couldn't regulate interstate trade, impose taxes, or coin money. They also had no leader to run the country.