Super Bowl I was played on January 15, 1967 at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum. The Green Bay Packers defeated the Kansas City Chiefs 35 to 10.
The New England Patriots were started as the Boston Patriots by Billy Sullivan in 1959 in the AFL.
The San Francisco 49ers have played in six Super Bowls and won five of them. Here are the results (victories in bold):
- Super Bowl XVI (1-24-82) -- San Francisco 26, Cincinnati Bengals 21.
- Super Bowl XIX (1-20-85) -- San Francisco 38, Miami Dolphins 16.
- Super Bowl XXIII (1-22-89) -- San Francisco 20, Cincinnati 16.
- Super Bowl XXIV (1-28-90) -- San Francisco 55, Denver Broncos 10.
- Super Bowl XXIX (1-29-95) -- San Francisco 49, San Diego Chargers 26.
- Super Bowl XLVII (2-3-13) -- Baltimore Ravens 34, San Francisco 31.
I heard on FOX Sports yesterday that an NFL game starts with 36 footballs. They also commented that a rookie quarterback may have a hard time adjusting to the use of new balls in the NFL as opposed to college play. (Never heard that before yesterday)
Different cities bid on it a few years in advance.