Marijuana is green because of the drying process. Instead of being heated to dry like tobacco (which would destroy the THC content) it is hung (upside down, roots up), then air dried for a period of time, thus sustaining important plant ingredients such as chlorophyll. THC is a more heat-sensitive chemical than nicotine; so the process has to be as it is so the plant matter does not lose it's medicinal values.
A new study shows that marijuana may actually stimulate the brain:http://blogcritics.org/archives/2005/10/14/100404.php
There are 2 receptors in the brain that are only stimulated by THC and no other drug.
Long Term effects of Marijuana
- Addiction to Marijuana.
- Short and long term memory loss.
- Rewiring of nerve cells containing dopamine.
- Mild increase in addiction vulnerability.
- Decreased ability to deal with stress.
These symptoms occur in fewer individuals:
- Depending on the method of intake, smoke from the marijuana can cause lung problems including coughs and colds, emphysema, cancer.
- Higher incidence of schizophrenia. It is currently unknown whether Marijuana may simply be a trigger for those already vulnerable to the disease, or a cause.
- Permanent impaired coordination.
- Low sperm count (?needs citation)
It depends on the person, I have some friends from college who are heavy marijuana users and has definitely made them"slower" - At the same time, I graduated pre-med with a heavy user who is as sharp as a tack- It enhances your personal characteristics- he's now a well known doctor, if you are a stupid lazy bum you will be a stupider lazier bum over time- if you are intelligent and use it to relax and accommodate your needs you should be doing great!
Societal effects?Fines and jail time varies from region to region.
Yes, it's no different than cigarette smoke.
Prescribed Marijuana is strictly for those people that are truly ill and are nauseated or in pain from Chemo or Radiation in most cases. I don't know where you could get it in the U.S., but Canada has a legalized clinic that will give either the cigarette or pill form of Marijuana for Medicinal purposes only. You also need a certificate on you at all times in case a police officer pulls you over. Trying to get Marijuana off the street for a person that needs it for pain is dangerous as it could have anything mixed in with it.