Options for Basement Waterproofing
Basements have been built of poured concrete foundations, monolithic, stone, block or tile basement walls. Water can leak through the basement walls, floor, and floor joists and then entering into your home. Solutions vary based on the type of construction of your basement and local soil and weather conditions.
Correcting water problems may be beyond the scope of DIY. It's always smart to do research on several different companies before you proceed with your project. A reputable company should have several references and you should feel comfortable doing business with them.
Comments from WIKI Answerers:
- We do all of our work from inside of the basement for a few reasons. Exterior waterproofing requires digging up around the foundation which can get extremely expensive, and removing obstacles such as decks, landscaping and driveways.
- One size fits all waterproofing benefits the company more often than the customer. Find a company that takes a problem solving approach, as opposed to a system approach, and determine what makes most sense in your particular situation. Remember, system companies claim to do all types of waterproofing/watercontrol, but will always steer you to their method. If they have a patented system, guess which method they will advise you to choose. As for patents, you can patent just about any thing.
- Waterproofing corrects the actual problem, and keeps the water out all together. Waterproofing is almost always the best option, however both waterproofing and water control systems are far superior to painting something on the inside of the walls.
- [Our product] is used to build and coat pools and water containment tanks to keep water in.. We can coat and rebuild basements to keep water out.(MAKE SENSE?) Our Products were used to waterproof the Hudson Wall and Ground Zero, The Aquarium as Seaworld, etc. Let me see a pump do that..LOL
- There are several different solutions that have been offered over the years from excavating outside and replacing the footing drains to foundation waterproofing to interior drainage systems. One of the most important reasons why we choose to work from the inside is because replacement footing drains have the potential to get clogged after all the money spent to dig them out.
- Waterproofing is performed only by excavating the outside to the footer, installing drain tile, and treating/waterproofing the walls. Water control is accomplished by interior drains run to a sump. Water control systems allow the water to enter, in order to pump it out.
Pumps:Do not work in heavy water conditions, I can give many testimonials of basement pumping systems that cannot keep up with the water issues.
The better solution is to actually correct the problem. + +One way water enters a foundation is through cracks. If you continue to allow water to flow through these cracks the cracks will naturally get bigger. Another cause can be the outside drainage system is no longer functioning. Why not replace the drains? As for the worry about these drains clogging, if you backfill properly with gravel, this is unlikely. Cleanouts are always installed so these drains can easily be cleared. As for expense, you may be surprised that often you can waterproof for comparable cost to these expensive interior systems. + +Remember inside systems are for water control, outside excavation is waterproofing. Ask your building department, or a structural engineer for their opinion on which method is best for your foundation. Inside water control systems have their place, but to always recommend this system regardless of the problem is simply wrong. One size fits all waterproofing benefits the company more often than the customer. + +Find a company that takes a problem solving approach, as opposed to a system approach, and determine what makes most sense in your particular situation. Remember, system companies claim to do all types of waterproofing/watercontrol, but will always steer you to their method. If they have a patented system, guess which method they will advise you to choose. As for patents, you can patent just about any thing. + +In conclusion deal with the symptom, or correct the
Please post any related links in that area, not in the answer. It should point to useful information, not sales contacts. Put those in your bio.
A health personage who studies all aspect of sex, including differentiation and dimorphism, and, particularly, sexual behaviour.
It is a group of people that arrange meeting for liaisons.